Author Topic: 37 Essential food items for SHTF  (Read 19848 times)

Offline TacticalJHP

• Global Moderator
  • U.S.S. Legend
  • Ashland Ky
    • View Profile
37 Essential food items for SHTF
« on: 21 Apr 2012 - 10:35:09 »
OK, about a week ago, my mom found this website with a video showing how people need to be preparing for emergencies, stockpiling food, and being ready to survive SHTF.

She ordered their book, The whole order was about $30, and wanted PayPal instead of a credit card, which is pretty nice. It came in the mail yesterday, but i was out meeting my girlfriends parents, so i didn't have time to read it.

Today i did. In addition to the list of foods you should stockpile, it also has instructions on how to properly store these items, Water collection and purification,  gardening tips and instructions for both outdoor and indoor gardening, and generator construction including solar cells, wind turbines, and Hydro electric.

Now, i already have read HUNDREDS of books on this subject, but i think this one does it best. It goes into a lot of detail about what items you should get, and what NOT to get.

So, For all you here on USS, here is the list of 37 foods for SHTF:              :P

(Its really 35 foods marked essential, then 2 additional as-needed foods )

1. Bottle water
2. Pasta
3. Rice
4. Canned Soup
5. Canned Meat
6. Canned Veggies
7. Canned fruit
8. Popcorn
9. Salt
10. Condensed or powdered milk
11. Dry Cereal
12. Beef jerky
13. Grains
14. Cooking oil
15. Sports Drinks (Gatorade, Powerade)
16. Nuts
17. Pickles
18. Dried Fruits
19. Spices
20. Honey
21. Crackers
22. Baking Essentials (Baking powder, baking soda, sugar)
23. Power bars
24. Instant rice
25. Coffee
26. Alcohol
27. Hard candies
28. Dehydrated/canned entries
29. Juice Powders
30. Protein Powders
31. Peanut Butter
32. Long lasting pastry treats (Pop Tarts, Twinkies!)
33. Salsa
34. Ramen Noodles
35. Fresh Fruit (Kept and used on a rotation basis to avoid spoilage)
36. Special needed food (ie, Baby food)
37. Pet food

The book explains in detail about the advantages and sometimes the disadvantages of each item, and also how to find and store these items.  12, 15, and 18 are some i would have never thought of as a long-term storage option, but they do make sense. Good thing  have a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer, because that **** is expensive to buy. Lol.
Number 8 and number 35 threw me for a loop. no doubt that if you or your family like popcorn, it will be a major morale booster. that is especially true for little kids, but i would have never though of that. Fresh fruit is great, but storing long term is impossible. it does say that these will be among the first items to be used, and usually wont be replenished once SHTF unless you have a few fruit trees.

Now, how about a free and spirited discussion?  ;)

"Take yer hat off boy, that's a dollar bill!"

Offline HiPoint45

• U.S.S. Legend
  • When you say clip..you've said it all.
  • Wyoming
    • View Profile
Re: 37 Essential food items for SHTF
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 10:51:11 »
Fresh fruit would last a bit longer if you have a root cellar but I don't see it as a storage item at all for most. I can see canning it of course, that's about the closest you'll get to "fresh" in most scenarios. Dried sweet corn makes more sense as a stored snack than popcorn. Popcorn requires use of resources to prepare and for myself I don't like without tons of melted butter lol.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2012 - 10:53:01 by HiPoint45 »
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face – for ever.-1984

"It's called the American dream, cause you have to be asleep to believe it."-George Carlin

godlessdustin

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 10:58:34 »
Fruit trees in the yard are a good way to get fresh fruit for at least part of the year. The excess fruit could be used for trade too.

Offline Corelogik

• Administrator
  • U.S.S. Legend
  • Digital Jedi
  • Northern Nevada
    • View Profile
    • Rambling's of a Geek,...
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 10:59:07 »
Looks like a good list to get your prepping ball rolling.

= U.S.S. Utility Slings, Now Available! =

"Hey you, out of the gene pool. NOW!"
"Our shields can't repel ignorance of that magnitude!"
"Somethings are true, whether you believe them or not,..."

Offline HiPoint45

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Wyoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 11:00:48 »
BTW what is the book and where can we find it?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face – for ever.-1984

"It's called the American dream, cause you have to be asleep to believe it."-George Carlin

Offline fudd

• U.S.S. Legend
  • n/e Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 11:01:07 »
As i've said befor,i make popcorn at least every day. Good ruffage and keeps weight down. HiPoint45,you'll have to bring your butter. LOL.Mostly mine's plain. That has to have a little moisture in it to pop. I've popped it when it didn't and that's farm animal food. That is kinda odd for shtf food. :brow:    Maybe it's for a treat. Like movies and popcorn. More psych then anything else.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2012 - 11:03:13 by fudd »
Don't talk to strangers.... unless you know them really well.

Offline TacticalJHP

• Global Moderator
  • U.S.S. Legend
  • Ashland Ky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 13:37:28 »
BTW what is the book and where can we find it?

Its called 37 food items sold out after crisis. I am not sure where my mom found it.

There may be a PDF option here too, as it has a website to go to. I'll check that out, and if so, i can download it, then share it.  :P

As i've said befor,i make popcorn at least every day. Good ruffage and keeps weight down. HiPoint45,you'll have to bring your butter. LOL.Mostly mine's plain. That has to have a little moisture in it to pop. I've popped it when it didn't and that's farm animal food. That is kinda odd for shtf food. :brow:    Maybe it's for a treat. Like movies and popcorn. More psych then anything else.

If SHTF, that popcorn would be of immense comfort to have something familiar. Its a comfort food.
Same thing with the Twinkies, but they are easier to prepare:
Open package.
Receive Twinkies.

Enjoy the little things, because that is what makes life worth living.
HiPoint, what would be your Comfort food, if not popcorn....or Twinkies?
Since chinese food after SHTF is not going to happen, I think i would love Moon Pies, but they would not love me. If SHTF, i could not afford to get dumping syndrome.

Dustin, i agree with that, and im glad i have fruit trees around my place.

Offline Done

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 13:51:08 »
It's obvious to us that this list could be expanded or condensed, depending on how comfy we want to be when the zombies come knocking, but I found some of the stuff downright redundant: Salsa, Canned Fruit, Canned veggies <--- all variations of the same basic thing, which is ready to eat micronutrients and fiber. One example.

also, they didn't put much emphasis on sugar, but added salt, that bugs me, sugar and salt together are just about the best preservative you could find in a given household.

But the biggest one missing for me is: beans. There's no beans on the list. The cheapest way to store complete proteins for long term is beans and rice. Forget protein bars, give me beans and rice with a bit of salt and some chili powder and an ounce of salsa. What armageddon? I'm having fiesta night.
there's no humilty in claiming you have a personal relationship with the creator of the universe, or that only your book and religion will get you out of hell. - Blackchild

Offline TacticalJHP

• Global Moderator
  • U.S.S. Legend
  • Ashland Ky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 14:00:57 »
It's obvious to us that this list could be expanded or condensed, depending on how comfy we want to be when the zombies come knocking, but I found some of the stuff downright redundant: Salsa, Canned Fruit, Canned veggies <--- all variations of the same basic thing, which is ready to eat micronutrients and fiber. One example.

also, they didn't put much emphasis on sugar, but added salt, that bugs me, sugar and salt together are just about the best preservative you could find in a given household.

But the biggest one missing for me is: beans. There's no beans on the list. The cheapest way to store complete proteins for long term is beans and rice. Forget protein bars, give me beans and rice with a bit of salt and some chili powder and an ounce of salsa. What armageddon? I'm having fiesta night.

Beans are actually mentioned in detail under the canned vegetable and grains sections. Beans are awesome, and after SHTF i really dont care who is offended by one of my bean laden farts.  ;D

They put sugar under the baking section. That hit me too, then i read it in detail. 

Offline Silicon Wolverine

• U.S.S. Legend
  • This is my happy face
  • Mobridge, South Dakota
    • View Profile
    • Silicon wolverine's youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 20:01:20 »
IMO that list looks like somebody opened thier cupboard and made a list of what they eat in a given week or two. 

Follow the KISS principle and you'll be better off. 

Water or a portable purification system
freeze dried/dehydrated food
drink powders
salt

think light, easy to preapre (heat water, add food, stir, eat) and fast.

I have a camping book from the mid 30s that lists the following as the "neccesaries" for a weeks stay for two people in camp:

5 lbs flour
3 lbs bacon or salt ham
3 lbs dried beef
5 onions - whole
2 heads of lettuce or cabbage
2 lbs of coffee
4 lbs of corn meal
3 lbs of beans
3 lbs of butter/lard
1 lb of salt
5 lbs of rice
2 lbs of powdered eggs

obviously that much weight isnt an option, but almost all of those items can be replaced by todays modern freeze dried/dehydrated meals at a fraction of the load.  i keep #10 cans of basic foodstuffs in the basement and in my running packs, along with "pour and serve" foil pouches.  the OPs list is great for a fixed position for a short term SHTF scenario.  If it escalates to a G.O.O.D. run and gun SHTF you are screwed sideways if you follow that list. 

A human in good condition can consume nothing besides water for 10-12 days of nomral activity before lack of nutrients renders them incapable of most common daily tasks.  If you have water and a destination with known food supplies you can reach within 7-8 days hard travel on foot, you can survive with NO foodstuffs. 

SW

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • the 5 words
  • South Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 20:31:40 »
You just might want to click this link then do some saving.  I think this is what the thread is talking about.

Make sure you have adobe something or other.

http://www.zombiepreparedness.org/files/37_items_Sold_out_after_crisis.pdf

Nemo

By the rude bridge that arched the flood, their flag to April's breeze unfurled, here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world.  (Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Concord Hymn"written for the North Bridge memorial)

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline TacticalJHP

• Global Moderator
  • U.S.S. Legend
  • Ashland Ky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 22:51:03 »
You just might want to click this link then do some saving.  I think this is what the thread is talking about.

Make sure you have adobe something or other.

http://www.zombiepreparedness.org/files/37_items_Sold_out_after_crisis.pdf

Nemo

Yup, that's the first section of the book, I'll try to find the other sections.

IMO that list looks like somebody opened thier cupboard and made a list of what they eat in a given week or two. 

Follow the KISS principle and you'll be better off. 

Water or a portable purification system
freeze dried/dehydrated food
drink powders
salt

think light, easy to preapre (heat water, add food, stir, eat) and fast.

I have a camping book from the mid 30s that lists the following as the "neccesaries" for a weeks stay for two people in camp:

5 lbs flour
3 lbs bacon or salt ham
3 lbs dried beef
5 onions - whole
2 heads of lettuce or cabbage
2 lbs of coffee
4 lbs of corn meal
3 lbs of beans
3 lbs of butter/lard
1 lb of salt
5 lbs of rice
2 lbs of powdered eggs

obviously that much weight isnt an option, but almost all of those items can be replaced by todays modern freeze dried/dehydrated meals at a fraction of the load.  i keep #10 cans of basic foodstuffs in the basement and in my running packs, along with "pour and serve" foil pouches.  the OPs list is great for a fixed position for a short term SHTF scenario.  If it escalates to a G.O.O.D. run and gun SHTF you are screwed sideways if you follow that list. 

A human in good condition can consume nothing besides water for 10-12 days of nomral activity before lack of nutrients renders them incapable of most common daily tasks.  If you have water and a destination with known food supplies you can reach within 7-8 days hard travel on foot, you can survive with NO foodstuffs. 

SW

Im going to have to politely disagree with you here.

You cannot live off of Dehydrated meals or MRE's alone. Regular canned and stored foods are needed. now, everyone should have some MRE's or dehydrated foods for when you have to bug out, but not eating every day for long periods of time. And, lets face it, If a nationwide SHTF event happened tomorrow morning, most of us would not need to bug out for a long while, if ever. Would you wish to deplete your cashed MREs before then? Not a good idea.

And as far as choosing what to stockpile, the best way would be to check and see what you eat and what you don't. If that can of beans is older than your kids, but you cant keep tuna on the shelves, it would be better to stockpile more tuna than beans.

Offline HiPoint45

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Wyoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 23:03:11 »
All I need for comfort food, in a SHTF scenario mind you, would be JIF peanut butter alone if necessary with crackers a plus. That and maybe cocoa puffs cereal. In the normal day to day world now my comfort food list is infinite.

Offline TacticalJHP

• Global Moderator
  • U.S.S. Legend
  • Ashland Ky
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 23:06:39 »
All I need for comfort food, in a SHTF scenario mind you, would be JIF peanut butter alone if necessary with crackers a plus. That and maybe cocoa puffs cereal. In the normal day to day world now my comfort food list is infinite.

PB and coco puffs. not a bad choice. ;D

Offline fudd

• U.S.S. Legend
  • n/e Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2012 - 04:40:08 »
Back when kids were in school they went through a phase of a bowl of Cocoa Puffs with chocolate milk (instead of white). :D
Don't talk to strangers.... unless you know them really well.