Author Topic: Jeep Rant!  (Read 2011 times)

Offline writerinmo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Old, grumpy and non-tolerant of idiots
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Rant!
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2014 - 11:32:14 »
The motor in ours let loose at 325,000 miles, broken piston skirt and shattered piston. I bought a 95 with low miles on an engine rebuild for $500 with a bad pinion bearing and swapped the motor into the 96. Only problems we've had have been electrical, computer, alternator and starter other than the usual maintenance parts like ujoints and brakes. No rust so I told the wife I'll just keep fixing it, lol
http://elby.yolasite.com/
Mosin sight tools

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website and store

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2014 - 15:10:29 »
It turned out to be an electrical issue. After unplugging checking and reconnecting damn near every single connector under the hood, it just started running fine. The trouble is, I'm not sure which connector it was.
Don't talk about what you have done (or what you
are going to do). Do it and let it speak for itself.

Offline gunforhire

• U.S.S. Legend
  • If all else fails, smash the **** out of it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2014 - 17:21:50 »
It turned out to be an electrical issue. After unplugging checking and reconnecting damn near every single connector under the hood, it just started running fine. The trouble is, I'm not sure which connector it was.

Now go do it again, this time with a tube of dielectric grease  ;)

Offline DIPISC

• U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2014 - 18:53:20 »
Hi;

Just don't know what to say....I am from the old  plugs,points,rotor and cap days....Yes, todays vehicles give us better fuel mileage etc...But "back then" things were simple and the average man could work on his vehicle...With sensors and catalytic converters and plug in computers - guy's like me are lost unless we keep up and go to "school" on these things.

Gone are the days of using a broom stick to see what cylinder is off/bad.  For you old time backyard mechanics - you know what I am talking about...

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2014 - 19:30:42 »
Ahh yes, I do indeed remember points ignitions and paying 39 cents for a gallon of leaded gas for that matter. My old 1970 cutlass had a points ignition but when I turned it into a "hot rod", I replaced it with an electronic ignition.

Offline writerinmo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Old, grumpy and non-tolerant of idiots
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jan 2014 - 22:09:13 »
When I went looking for a truck, I told the wife I wanted an old one, no computer, no catalytic convertor, no fuel injection. Ran across the 1985 Chevy K10 for $1200. Last year for a carb. Brand new tires, got some rust like all Chevy trucks of that era but fixable and I have the tools and knowledge. I deliberately don't try and figure out what sort of gas mileage I get, I'm sure it's somewhere between 15 and 18 depending on the wind and how much I'm carrying in the back. But I can walk into pretty much any auto parts store and walk out with whatever it is I need, if I can't fix it with the baling wire and duct tape in the side box. I have replaced the rear brake shoes and one lower ball joint on it in two years now, the ball joint barely passed the safety inspection the first year so I changed it first chance. Other than that I just drive it, the wife avoids taking it as the original radio is in it and doesn't work, someday I'll get around to putting the good one I have in it, but it will entail a bit of sheetmetal work since the original one has the two knobs that stick through the dash, lol.
http://elby.yolasite.com/
Mosin sight tools

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website and store

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2014 - 02:41:18 »
the original one has the two knobs that stick through the dash, lol.

LOL........we have an old 1982 Jeep Wagoneer sitting in the driveway with the original radio in it. Maybe I can get it running this summer but right now, it's just too damn cold and it's been so many years since I've worked on ANYTHING with a carb, I'm not even sure where to start. :-[

Offline gunforhire

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2014 - 11:20:34 »
the original one has the two knobs that stick through the dash, lol.

LOL........we have an old 1982 Jeep Wagoneer sitting in the driveway with the original radio in it. Maybe I can get it running this summer but right now, it's just too damn cold and it's been so many years since I've worked on ANYTHING with a carb, I'm not even sure where to start. :-[

Damn lol that brings me back to my 79 wagoneer I had.  Thing was a beast.  Even came with a factory CB!

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Tapatalk

Offline 69burbon

• U.S.S. Expert
  • KD8QQC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2014 - 19:42:30 »
Hamster, See what a new engine harness will run for it.   I know exactly what is going on.   Had the EXACT same issue on a Cherokee in our fleet when I was in the Air Force.  Turned out the harness from the distributor to the ECM had broken strands in it.  Wasn't just one wire.  Myself and another tech only found it by accident.  You can try restring it but if there is one bad wire THERE WILL BE MORE!

No trees were harmed in the entering of this post but innumerable electrons were severely inconvenienced!!!

Offline gunforhire

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 Feb 2014 - 12:49:25 »
Hamster, See what a new engine harness will run for it.   I know exactly what is going on.   Had the EXACT same issue on a Cherokee in our fleet when I was in the Air Force.  Turned out the harness from the distributor to the ECM had broken strands in it.  Wasn't just one wire.  Myself and another tech only found it by accident.  You can try restring it but if there is one bad wire THERE WILL BE MORE!

I have heard of it too.  hell my 01 cherokee I had for a bit was going down the same path.  seems like I was chasing and fixing wiring all the time in that POS