Author Topic: Jeep Rant!  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
Jeep Rant!
« on: 26 Jan 2014 - 07:35:28 »
My 1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ is living up to its acronym of "Just Empty Every Pocket" now more than ever and it's pissing me off!
I had a no start situation last Tuesday. I put some gas in it Monday evening at the same station I've been using for years and headed home. I stopped at a small store on the way to grab a few things. When I got ready to head home is when it started acting up. It would fire off and die immediately, which it did 3 more times before I finally got it to stay running. There was about 1/4 of fuel in the tank before I added more at the gas station and it was only about 4 miles from there to this store so, it's hard to believe a fuel problem is the issue. I drove home without so much as a hiccup.
Anyway, the next morning when I was ready to leave for work, it wouldn't start at all. I've done some tests and it's getting good fuel pressure and a good strong spark.
All of the tests I did passed except for one, which indicated that the crankshaft position sensor had gone bad. It's supposed to read .5 volts AC and it was only reading .35 so, I replaced it which was a PITA BTW. IT STILL WON'T START!!!  >:(
I have no garage and it's too ****ing cold outside to continue troubleshooting this thing! Fortunately, I work for a car dealership and 3 of my fellow techs have FAR MORE experience with Jeeps than I do so, I'm going to let one of them figure it out. I had it towed to work yesterday and I'll put it in the shop on Monday morning. I'll only have to pay 50% labor and any parts will be cost plus 10% so, I can live with that.

Rant over...

One benefit of working for a dealership is access to vehicles. The owners son is letting me drive a "used" 2013 Toyota Corolla to get to work in while my Jeep is down. :thumbsup:
Don't talk about what you have done (or what you
are going to do). Do it and let it speak for itself.

Offline gunforhire

• U.S.S. Legend
  • If all else fails, smash the **** out of it!
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Rant!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2014 - 07:59:59 »
Damn that sucks.

yours is a 4 liter right?

Offline DIPISC

• U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2014 - 08:39:39 »
Hi;

bad fuel, water in it, fuel filter....do some "dry gas" additive.  Can it have a "Vapor Lock" issue ?

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2014 - 12:28:15 »
Damn that sucks.

yours is a 4 liter right?

Yep......4.0

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2014 - 12:30:40 »
Hi;

bad fuel, water in it, fuel filter....do some "dry gas" additive.  Can it have a "Vapor Lock" issue ?

Even with water in the fuel, it should at least try to fire which it's not doing. I replaced the fuel filter and installed all new injectors last summer.

Offline gunforhire

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2014 - 14:20:07 »
Hi;

only "vapor lock" issues with the 4.0 was on the fuel rail.  it would get too hot and you could put some heat wrap around it.

Offline gunforhire

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2014 - 14:25:10 »
hey, you have a ceramic ballast resistor on the fenderwell on that thing. go check it.  fuel pump wont get power without it.  if you want to be sure, check your puel pressure at the test port.  I could go on, but I don't know how deep you dug in your diagnosis. 

Offline writerinmo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Old, grumpy and non-tolerant of idiots
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2014 - 14:34:00 »
If you have fuel and spark (at the right time) then that only leaves compression or electronics. I've never had a "no start" condition with the wife's 96 Cherokee 4.0 well other than the time it launched the #5 piston into the pan, it didn't fire up then... :blink:
http://elby.yolasite.com/
Mosin sight tools

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website and store

Offline fordman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2014 - 14:30:30 »
Does it try to start or nothing at all I'm confused

Offline Gort50

• U.S.S. Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2014 - 17:29:55 »
Any fire at all with starting fluid?
Six out of seven dwarves aren't Happy.

Offline DIPISC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2014 - 15:04:28 »
Hi;

well it's been 3 days that they have had the Jeep....What was the outcome ?

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2014 - 20:03:08 »
Hi;

well it's been 3 days that they have had the Jeep....What was the outcome ?

We replaced the ignition coil (the only part I hadn't replaced during last summers tune up). Now it'll start and run but, only for a short time before shutting down. We've done extensive fuel pressure testing and everything is checking out. A full time Jeep mechanic suggested the "Sync Generator Ring" inside the distributor could be causing the problem because with a spark tester attached to one of the plug wires, the spark will change from blue to orange about a split second before it shuts down.
As it turns out, the SGR isn't available by itself but, my cost on a new distributor assembly complete with cap and rotor, is only $65.00. I ordered it yesterday but, the part didn't arrive because we closed early due to the sudden snow fall. We didn't even open today and I haven't heard anything about tomorrow yet.

It's just not fair! We haven't seen a single snow flake since I bought the Cherokee and when we finally DO get some snow, she's down and I can't go play.

Offline writerinmo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Old, grumpy and non-tolerant of idiots
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2014 - 20:41:51 »
This is why I bought a 1985 Chevy Silverado 4x4
http://elby.yolasite.com/
Mosin sight tools

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website and store

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2014 - 02:56:49 »
This is why I bought a 1985 Chevy Silverado 4x4

Yeah well..........had I know the sorts of problems RENIX Cherokee's have ahead of time, I would have bought a later model................Anything from 1997 to 2001. The 2000-2001 even had a coil on plug system and the camshaft position sensor is mounted onto what looks like where a distributor should be on older models.

Hell, if I had (or could get) $2,500 right now, I found a 2003 4 door 4x4 ZR2 Chevy Tracker with a 3.7 V6 that I'd love to have. It's got about half the miles my Cherokee has on it and gets more than double the MPG. I had one of the old 91 Geo Trackers and I loved it but, I killed it delivering pizza for a living when times were harder.

Offline fordman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2014 - 06:40:36 »
Does the jeep have idle air control valve? And have you made sure that its clean yet if it does?