Author Topic: First time using a bow.  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Avenging Dog

• U.S.S. Plinker
    • View Profile
First time using a bow.
« on: 17 Sep 2011 - 14:01:29 »
Hello. I recently got arrow tips (those cheap training kind) from walmart today and I have an old bow that my dad and I are taking out to the range Sunday to play with. I have practically no bow experience, so I was wondering if any of you guys could give me a few beginner's tips?
Better to fight for something than live for nothing.
~ Gen. George S. Patton
ll
Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
~ Winston Churchill

Offline Deymorin

• U.S.S. Legend
  • This is my avatar
    • View Profile
Re: First time using a bow.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2011 - 17:31:11 »
What kind of bow?
When I bend air my wife grabs the lysol

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

BTW, I'm Christian, but I do not claim denomination, nor will I defend my beliefs. I believe what I believe, and I don't care what you belive, I only care about how you live and if you're a person I'd be willing to take a bullet for. Beyond that, I really don't give a ****.       Primalseal

Offline Avenging Dog

• U.S.S. Plinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2011 - 17:36:05 »
Im sorry I probably should have mentioned that.  :P
It's a compound bow, thats about all I could tell you. The thing is older than dirt though.
~ Gen. George S. Patton
ll
~ Winston Churchill

Offline Dracosfire83

• U.S.S. Expert
  • When 911 don't work. I use 9mm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2011 - 17:46:10 »
Can you post a pic?
Give me a minute and I'll change your mind, give me a bullet and I'll change you're life.

Offline Avenging Dog

• U.S.S. Plinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2011 - 18:36:07 »
Here are some pictures of it.

There is a little info sticker on the bow and it says:

Draw length 28
Bowstring: 35
Weight: 45-60

I hope any of this info is of any use to you guys.  :)
~ Gen. George S. Patton
ll
~ Winston Churchill

Offline Deymorin

• U.S.S. Legend
  • This is my avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2011 - 19:54:56 »
If you plan on shootin much with it you should take it to a bowyer (bow mechanic) and have it setup to you, if nothing else to be sure it doesnt come apart the frist time you shoot it.But just to mess around with be sure when you nock an arrow, ie put it on the string and rest, to have it at a 90 degree angle to the string itll shoot straighter. Also fair warning archery is like crack or women, once you get hooked you can never really quit :D
When I bend air my wife grabs the lysol

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

BTW, I'm Christian, but I do not claim denomination, nor will I defend my beliefs. I believe what I believe, and I don't care what you belive, I only care about how you live and if you're a person I'd be willing to take a bullet for. Beyond that, I really don't give a ****.       Primalseal

Offline Avenging Dog

• U.S.S. Plinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2011 - 05:08:30 »
 :D Thank you for the tips. I think archery is something I'd really like to get into.
~ Gen. George S. Patton
ll
~ Winston Churchill

Offline PrimalSeal

• Administrator
  • U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2011 - 02:38:42 »
I agree with Deymorin a billion percent dude. Depending on how long it's been since that bows been shot, the string might have deteriorated to the point where it may snap on you the first time you shoot it. Have it inspected by a bowyer and go from there. Depending on how much you are willing to invest on it, get the string replaced, nocking point or release loop, put a new set of sights, replace the arrow rest on it and you'll damn near have a brand new bow as long as the limbs aren't cracked. If you do replace the bowstring, make sure the guy paper tunes the bow for you before you get it back from him. That way your arrows will be flying true and your groups will thank you for it.
"I'd rather be frozen and free, than warm and enslaved." ~RG_86 in a discussion about the difference between Alaska and California.

C'mon Hobbes, if you lend me a buck, I'll buy you a comic book. ~Calvin

I got a fever and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!!!     ~Bruce Dickenson