Author Topic: What have you done to prep today?  (Read 29482 times)

Offline DIPISC

• U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
    • View Profile
Re: What have you done to prep today?
« Reply #345 on: 22 Jan 2016 - 14:24:07 »
Hi;

Yesterday, I refilled the 55 gal drum and (5) 5 gal gas cans here at the house. Started up the Genny and dumped a quart of fresh gas in the tank in case I have to use it for this weekend snow storm. Since the genny is stored in the basement, I keep very little fuel in it until I need to use it.

2 weeks ago , I stopped at 2 feed stores along my route and checked up on Heirloom seeds, both places said they will be in @ the beginning of February and I'll see just what quality they claim to be. Then if I get any - they go in the freezer for storage.  I may even try a few seeds out to see if I have any skill(s) in being a garden grower !

Offline writerinmo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Old, grumpy and non-tolerant of idiots
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: 22 Jan 2016 - 17:13:19 »
I bought one of the Seed Vaults pictured here:

http://tactical.chkadels.com/search?w=seeds

from CHKadels, they've switched from just mirroring their sister site BudK and gone mostly survival stuff.  These are all heirloom and non-GMO and come from the previous years' harvest so no old seeds...I checked out the supplier at Patriotsupply and their price was the same, but CHKadels had a free shipping over $39 so I added in these to put my order to free shipping:

http://www.chkadels.com/TulAmmo-7-62X39-122-Grain-Rifle-Ammo-33300

Yep they've started carrying a few calibers of ammo, tie in with one of their constant discounts or shipping promo's and you can add to your stash pretty easily a small bit at a time.
http://elby.yolasite.com/
Mosin sight tools

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website and store

Offline writerinmo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Old, grumpy and non-tolerant of idiots
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 22 Jan 2016 - 17:18:46 »
We've been on wood heat for the past couple of days, blower in the furnace started squealing about 4AM so I shut it off. Called the owners, then the local guy they have do handyman stuff for them. Of course once he got here it ran perfectly. Rather than chance a meltdown in the middle of the night, we've been keeping the wood stove running in the living room until the owners can make up their minds what they want to do. Been running the blower trying to get it to start squealing again but so far no luck...I know as soon as we let the fire die down and start relying on the furnace again it'll be sure to crap out.

And of course, whoever installed the electric furnace in place of the original gas one, put it in the cubby 90 degrees off how it should be, so the access panel is on the side instead of the front. It appears there MIGHT be room to weasel the blower assembly out but if not then the wall paneling and two little 2x2 studs will need to be removed to get it out.

The only thing with the wood stove is I have to wake up around 3AM to stoke it so I've been sleeping in a recliner...
http://elby.yolasite.com/
Mosin sight tools

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website and store

Offline DIPISC

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 10 Feb 2016 - 15:28:01 »
Hi;

Well, I have started to collect Heirloom seeds from 2 different seed stores. I made a list of what is on hand and what I have to get. Some prep projects are just out of reach ( money ) for a while, So I am doing some of the least expensive/costly items for now.

After the Seeds, I'll have to reassemble a fishing box with accessories and    then  think about a bow and arrow set up.

Offline DIPISC

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 18 Feb 2016 - 12:16:06 »
Hi;

Have collected a basic inventory of seeds covering all but asparagus plants. Will put them in a jar with oxygen eaters ( packets ) and into the freezer. I thought getting heirloom seeds would be a hassle - but it turns out that you have to be care full of where and who you buy seeds from. I may even get the urge to try my hand out at growing some items this year, since the growing times vary so much from plant(s) to plant.

Now,  later I will assemble fishing gear - I must have given the stuff I had here at the house to my Grand Nephew some time ago and forgot about it. Bass Pro is having a "sale" this week - but I'll hold off for a few more weeks.

have not talked to a Nephew about a Bow and Arrow(s) set up yet since the cost(s) may take too much from other things !

Offline DIPISC

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: 08 Mar 2016 - 18:51:55 »
Hi;

Fantastic warm sunny day today, after getting what I had on my to do list - I took my Bug Out Bag from the truck and washed the clothes, swapped out the Med's with a newer expiration date(s) and replaced 2 packs of smokes.

The MRE's were still in good shelf life - I have those commercial ( 5 year ) types in the bag not the GI type.

Either that bag is getting heavier or I am getting older/weaker.

Offline dahed

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 08 Mar 2016 - 19:14:29 »
Took advantage of a real nice day and went to the range.  Found a good ammo match for my Howa 1500 .308:

Nec Aspera Terrent

Body Piercing by Smith & Wesson.

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that is remotely true. Homer Simpson

Offline DIPISC

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 08 Apr 2016 - 15:50:18 »
Hi

A part of my preps are/is to have credit card accounts for various things should I have to Bug Out or just get something if I am short on cash at the time.

For years, I had 1 of those Subway food credit cards that I was building up the points given with every purchase. Well, 1-2 years ago - Subway ended the point system and gave everyone a very short notice to use the points up. I lost out on using any of my points and was pissed.  As it seems  - Subway got some nasty comments or it was because of that Jarrod incident - but Subway has reissued the point system for the customers.

So, I am back to having over 300+ points on my card as a backup and now to deposit some extra cash on the C Card for backup as well.

Offline dahed

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: 09 Apr 2016 - 07:08:51 »
I hear Subway did away with the 6" Salami sub after Jarrod!   :D
Nec Aspera Terrent

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that is remotely true. Homer Simpson

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: 09 Apr 2016 - 15:14:47 »
I hear Subway did away with the 6" Salami sub after Jarrod!   :D

:uss_sick&twisted:

Nemo

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline DIPISC

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: 17 Jun 2016 - 14:33:18 »
Hi;

For the past 2 weeks I have noticed that I was losing points on the Subway card. I called Corporate and they now have a policy of after @36 months - they will start deducting points from the card(s). So, I used up @ 100 points on Wednesday and may just add money to the card and keep points low. I lost over 60 points in those 10-14 days - so they will stick it to you 1 way or another.

My latest prep bug out card is the Speedway card. Since there are many along Rt 95 when I head south, I decided to build points with them. I am going to have to look at the small print with these people and see if they are going to stick it to me also. Already, if you get 1 of their "gift" or "Merchandise" cards - you have 1 year from purchase to use it up or lose it entirely.

Offline DIPISC

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 29 Sep 2016 - 15:58:45 »
Hi;

Actually, I am starting to through out a lot of paperwork,receipts and extra manuals etc from the man cave prep area.  I am getting sick of the sight of a pile of "mess" and decided to go through it all and get rid of what I do not need.

A heck of a lot of receipts for stuff/items that I wanted to keep account of the expenses/costs of prepping. Well, I am into the prepping deeply and costs can be in the $16-$18,000 if I were to add it all up. It is an obsession at times.

I am at the age of not being worried about SHTF at times and in my Radio Room - I have another project of going through papers and items and cleaning it up ! When I took the Emergency Management Course 17-20 years ago - I ordered ( free ) 3 sets of every manual and document that they were giving out. Old Computer info and books...

It is just taking up space and is duplicate in many ways. I don't want to end up like a person on that Hoarder TV show.

Besides, If I clean out the old junk - I can make room for the new junk !   LOL.

Offline DIPISC

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 09 Aug 2017 - 14:37:11 »
Hi;

In the past few months, I have started to actually un-prep !  I used up a year of stocked up provisions and did not replace any for the 2019 year ( so far ).   I have heard that Three Mile Island is to be shut down in the 3-5 year(s) future, and if so, I intend to rid myself of the Bug Out Trailer and give up on acquiring of a Bug Out Location in the South.

It will be of no use to Bug Out if we have a nuclear strike from North Korea - no place will be safe.

What is promising is that a Nephew of mine and some of his family are into food prep only ( for now ). After years of talking to most of my family members, at least some thing is starting to sink into 1 of them. I think this N. Korea stuff is starting to scare them. Last time he was here he was talking about silencers,canning,ammo,reloading and generators.  When he shows up this Friday, I will enlighten him with more on prepping because he does not have a plan nor fully understand the volume of items needed for basic prepping for his family - but it is a start !

Offline dahed

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 10 Aug 2017 - 05:07:34 »
Downsizing too!  As my Y2K supplies are used up (or trashed), I am not restocking them. (However, I am restocking my 12/12/12 Mayan calendar stuff!)  :D
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2017 - 05:15:27 by dahed »
Nec Aspera Terrent