Author Topic: Bow Question  (Read 3583 times)

Offline CroCopitateya

• U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
  • Beast Mode
    • View Profile
Bow Question
« on: 02 Apr 2012 - 18:49:55 »
My fiance wants to get into archery and while I have a crossbow shes wanting to get a recurve bow. I know for a fact that she doesn't want a compound bow so thats out of the question no matter what. What can you guys recommend me for her and can anybody lead us in the right direction for this purchase. She said she didn't want to spend more than 150 bucks on it either so that needs to be taken into consideration. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Courage isn't about not being scared. It's about being scared and doing it anyway.

It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.

"Right leg, hospital. Left leg, cemetery."- Cro Cop

I'm willing to spend $5800 on a machine gun, but **** spending $100 on a socket set.

Offline PrimalSeal

• Administrator
  • U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bow Question
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr 2012 - 21:08:25 »
First stop, bow shop. There are so many different things that go into a recurve, and I am not the person to ask. The things that will be taken into consideration are draw length, draw weight and total length of the bow. After that, she will need instruction on how to draw, anchor point and shooting fundamentals.
"I'd rather be frozen and free, than warm and enslaved." ~RG_86 in a discussion about the difference between Alaska and California.

C'mon Hobbes, if you lend me a buck, I'll buy you a comic book. ~Calvin

I got a fever and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!!!     ~Bruce Dickenson

Offline CroCopitateya

• Beast Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2012 - 21:15:06 »
First stop, bow shop. There are so many different things that go into a recurve, and I am not the person to ask. The things that will be taken into consideration are draw length, draw weight and total length of the bow. After that, she will need instruction on how to draw, anchor point and shooting fundamentals.
Thanks man. We have an archery shop in town. I figured you knew more about recurve bows since you bow hunt. I'll let her know what you said.

Courage isn't about not being scared. It's about being scared and doing it anyway.

I'm willing to spend $5800 on a machine gun, but **** spending $100 on a socket set.

Offline PrimalSeal

• Administrator
  • U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2012 - 21:19:19 »
I know how to shoot a recurve bow, but it's a hard thing to teach, and I don't own one anymore.
"I'd rather be frozen and free, than warm and enslaved." ~RG_86 in a discussion about the difference between Alaska and California.

I got a fever and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!!!     ~Bruce Dickenson

Offline CroCopitateya

• Beast Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2012 - 21:20:38 »
Is her price range something we can work with. She's super weak too. Maybe a 40-60 lb draw weight? Lighter?

Offline PrimalSeal

• Administrator
  • U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 Apr 2012 - 22:12:13 »
40 pounds is minimum to hunt with. I don't know if that's something she's interested in, just an FYI. 60 pounds is hard to hold once drawn. That's one of the things about a recurve bow, there is no let off once you get to full draw, so you can't hold it as long.

Offline DIPISC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 Jan 2016 - 13:21:19 »
Hi;

I am thinking of getting a Bow and Arrows for my Bug Out/SHTF  planning. Last night I stopped in a Archery shop and the cheapest compound bow was @ $270. and I think it was for a kid since it was @ 2 1/2 ft long/high.   

Arrows;   when I was a kid they were .25 a piece, last night I was looking at @ $60-80 + for a dozen AND they had no tips on them. The "target" style "el-cheapo" arrows were $24. a dozen ! I did not talk to anyone behind the counter since I have a Nephew that deals with them and can better tell me about that store than anyone else.

Even if I just practice with the equipment - I still get "sticker shock".    It has been @50 years since I shot a bow and getting 1 now would be a part of a last resort food gathering thing but tis better to have it and collect dust than to wish I had 1 if/when shtf happens !

It's been 40 years since I went fishing, and that was at Parris Island - I will hate to see some of those prices !

Offline fudd

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jan 2016 - 16:59:11 »
I know that feeling. Last bow I had was 50+ years ago and was a plain o'l long bow. Arrows were as you said. The cool thing was, my step-mom sewed together some old burlap material and stuffed it with straw in the shape of a t-rex. It was about 3 feet tall and leaned it against a tree.....if you ain't putn food on the table, I can't see spending the bucks on that new fangled stuff. Too complicated for me.
Don't talk to strangers.... unless you know them really well.

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jan 2016 - 19:24:21 »

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline jungshin

• Really?! I'm So Confused,.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2016 - 08:05:54 »
check CL. lots of people get "into" archery then discover it s a skill that take a crapton of practice to get good enough to hunt with or shoot competitively. it also is a perishable skill so stop shooting for a month or two and all that muscle and endurance goes away, so they sell their gear once it sitsi nt he garage taking up space for too long.
esse quam videre. to be rather than to appear

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2016 - 09:18:20 »
I knew a woman who used an old style recurve bow for competitions and she was extremely good. Twice that I know of, she Robin Hooded an arrow during a competition.
Don't talk about what you have done (or what you
are going to do). Do it and let it speak for itself.

Offline Deymorin

• U.S.S. Legend
  • This is my avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2016 - 04:44:50 »

I recall a video on how to make takedown arrows but I can't remember did it, this and the arrows shouldn't take a whole Lotta space
When I bend air my wife grabs the lysol

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

BTW, I'm Christian, but I do not claim denomination, nor will I defend my beliefs. I believe what I believe, and I don't care what you belive, I only care about how you live and if you're a person I'd be willing to take a bullet for. Beyond that, I really don't give a ****.       Primalseal

Offline fudd

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2016 - 11:47:31 »
^^^ That brought back an old memory of a Wammo slingshot and a wire bent with a ..V.. in it for an arrow rest....It wo0rked but I was terrible with it. I was only 8 or 9 at the time..
Don't talk to strangers.... unless you know them really well.