Author Topic: Bow Pic thread.  (Read 5140 times)

Offline PrimalSeal

• Administrator
  • U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bow Pic thread.
« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2011 - 05:45:48 »
Here is mine. Golden Eagle 70# (Set @68) 252fps Shooting 29" Hunter XT and 100grain Reapers. Paid $75 for this bow. Shoots great out to 50 yds. Got my hooked on shooting a bow again now I am looking at a Quest Primal.... lol

@32yds Yellow fletched arrow is mine. Orange is my friend Tim.

@22yds Yellow fletched arrow is mine. Orange is my friend Tim.

How do you like those short fletchings? I've always used 3 inch fletchings, the shorter 2 inch and the even shortest 1 inch just don't seem to fly as straight.
"I'd rather be frozen and free, than warm and enslaved." ~RG_86 in a discussion about the difference between Alaska and California.

C'mon Hobbes, if you lend me a buck, I'll buy you a comic book. ~Calvin

I got a fever and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!!!     ~Bruce Dickenson

Offline Stryker1

• U.S.S. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2011 - 16:01:52 »
I am shooting a Whisker Biscuit and they seem to fly straight for me. I have had it paper tuned and it cuts good holes. At 20 yards I dont shoot for groups anymore. I am sick of replacing nocks.

Offline Deymorin

• U.S.S. Legend
  • This is my avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2011 - 19:58:10 »
Do shorter fletchings really give you that much more speed?
When I bend air my wife grabs the lysol

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

BTW, I'm Christian, but I do not claim denomination, nor will I defend my beliefs. I believe what I believe, and I don't care what you belive, I only care about how you live and if you're a person I'd be willing to take a bullet for. Beyond that, I really don't give a ****.       Primalseal

Offline Michigan Bob

• U.S.S. Plinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 Sep 2011 - 04:14:58 »
Do shorter fletchings really give you that much more speed?

I don't know if they allow more speed, but I use a Whisker Buiscut. And they last forever being shot throught the Buiscut. I know a lot of people who use the shorter vanes with a drop away rest so maybe they are faster. I've never checked the speed of my bows.
Kel-Tec P11

Offline PrimalSeal

• Administrator
  • U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2011 - 02:40:15 »
My groups are so damn tight that I'm getting sick of replacing fletchings. I put 2 arrows touching shafts today, and ruined the fletchings on both the arrows. Talk about pissed off, those fletchings were just replaced the last time I went to the indoor shooting range/bow shop.
"I'd rather be frozen and free, than warm and enslaved." ~RG_86 in a discussion about the difference between Alaska and California.

I got a fever and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!!!     ~Bruce Dickenson

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 Sep 2011 - 03:10:04 »
I have an old Martin Cougar Speed Flite but I'm currently trying to sell it so, it's over at a friends house and I don't have any pictures of it.

I love my bow and would love to keep it but, an old shoulder injury keeps me from holding it steady at full draw for more than a few seconds at a time. I'm thinking my next bow hunting trip will have to be done with a crossbow.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2011 - 03:13:27 by Hamster »
Don't talk about what you have done (or what you
are going to do). Do it and let it speak for itself.

Offline PrimalSeal

• Administrator
  • U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 Sep 2011 - 04:41:05 »
What's the let off? You should really look into getting a new compound as the let off on the new ones are at least 80%, and some are as much as 90% of the draw weight. For where you live, a 60 to 65 pound draw is more than enough for whitetails and pigs, with a 90% let off, that's 54 pounds you don't have to stand there and hold as long as you can get it to full draw, you're golden.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm#16-letoff

Here's a site I recommend for bow selection. Section 17 covers let off.

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 Sep 2011 - 17:43:19 »
It has a 60% let off if I remember correctly and I've adjusted the draw down to about 50 pounds (which is about as low as it will go). If it was my right shoulder I could probably deal with it but since it's my left (the one holding the bow)...........
It's not so much that it hurts, it's that my shoulder will actually start shaking which makes it extremely difficult to keep it steady.
Don't talk about what you have done (or what you
are going to do). Do it and let it speak for itself.

Offline 69burbon

• U.S.S. Expert
  • KD8QQC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2011 - 17:10:19 »
Here are the pics of my other two bows.  A couple of classic recurves.

Takedown Darton Magnum set up with 45# hunting limbs (62 inch overall)  I have two more sets of limbs for it both are 35# one is 62 inch the others are 68 inch.

The other is an old wood bow.  55#

Both still shoot really nice.
No trees were harmed in the entering of this post but innumerable electrons were severely inconvenienced!!!

Offline fudd

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 Oct 2011 - 12:47:21 »
69,those are sharp. love the look of old style. Nothing against compounds, they kinda look like a hardware store with a string. :D
Don't talk to strangers.... unless you know them really well.

Offline 69burbon

• U.S.S. Expert
  • KD8QQC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 Oct 2011 - 13:16:37 »
69,those are sharp. love the look of old style. Nothing against compounds, they kinda look like a hardware store with a string. :D

I like shooting my compound but would take my recurve over it any day.  At least with my reciever I can do nearly everything myself.   I do my own arrows and strings for it.  Can't really do that with the compound.
No trees were harmed in the entering of this post but innumerable electrons were severely inconvenienced!!!

Offline Stryker1

• U.S.S. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 Dec 2011 - 11:29:29 »
Well here is my second post....

Here she is!!!! G5 Quest PRIMAL!!!!! 70# (set @60#) RH, META Peep 1/4, Wisker Biscuit, Truglo 5 pin (Soon to be a Spot Hogg!), Truglo 4 arrow Quiver.

She is a shooter!!!!

« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2011 - 13:40:53 by Stryker1 »

Offline PrimalSeal

• Administrator
  • U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 Dec 2011 - 23:28:13 »
Dude, you got a bow named after me? I'm so.... touched! I love you too Nic!

:P

Offline RG_86

• Global Moderator
  • U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 Dec 2011 - 23:32:07 »
Dude, you got a bow named after me? I'm so.... touched! I love you too Nic!

:P

Well us grunts know how you fly boys like to be touched. ................J/K.........??
Love your family, Pray for your country, Load your ammo.

You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.

Offline fudd

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 Dec 2011 - 08:16:05 »
Nice rig there Stryker1. Anybody shot or know anybody who has shot this set-up here ?     
Don't talk to strangers.... unless you know them really well.