Author Topic: Buying a compound bow "HOYT" need some advice?  (Read 1049 times)

Offline yunggunz87

• U.S.S. Sharp Shooter
    • View Profile
Buying a compound bow "HOYT" need some advice?
« on: 07 Nov 2011 - 18:09:39 »
Ive got a buddy who has a 2010 Hoyt powerhawk. Hes trying to sell it and I'm trying to buy it. Ive got him down to 280 on it he paid 400 last year and it seems to be in great shape Supposedly never shot. Anything specific I should look for when buying a bow?
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2011 - 18:38:48 by yunggunz87 »

Offline 911JB

• U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a compound bow "HOYT" need some advice?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2011 - 05:57:49 »
  Bows are like computers, they loose there value rather quickly. So, just to be safe, do a eBay search on that particular bow and see what they are going for now. For instance my Hoyt was $600.00 when new and was a bare bow [ no sights, rests etc]. I bought it still new at the shop, the next year for $300.00.
 One thing you need to do is see if the bow fits you. Most Hoyt's have an adjustable draw length, so take it to a bow shop and have your draw length measured and then check the bows draw length. If it is off have it adjusted. Are you going to shoot with a release, or fingers? That will make a difference in the draw length also. You want to be as consistant as you can with each shot. So a proper fitting bow is really important.
 If the bow is only 1 year old I don't believe there would be anything wrong with it. If it was older I would check the limbs for stress crack, check the string for damage.
 Is the bow fully set up? Does it have a rest, sights [both front and rear] silencers, stabilizer, teflon or plastic string guide,  etc? If so do a quick look over of all the accessories. A bow is kind of a personal thing so you may want different sights or rest or something. So after you get a few shots down range don't be afraid to see if you would prefer different accessories. There are so many options for bows that it is almost mind boggling.
Firearms have two enemies,
Rust & Politicians!

Offline yunggunz87

• U.S.S. Sharp Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a compound bow "HOYT" need some advice?
« Reply #2 on: 08 Nov 2011 - 13:31:09 »
I went ahead and got it. The guy was about my size. It felt right ill take to have it looked at though. Came set up. With illuminated sights. This brush guide thing. And quick detachable arrow holder. Some arrows and tips. I looked it over real good. It looked like it never even been drawn back.