Author Topic: More Attention, More Action  (Read 115 times)

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
More Attention, More Action
« on: 30 Nov 2017 - 09:05:36 »
More news on Gun Rights.  Make calls again.  This is from the Virginia Citizens Defense League, VCDL,  State NRA type organization so I know its valid.

Nemo

ACTION ITEM

National Concealed Carry Reciprocity, H.R. 38, cleared the House Judiciary Committee in Congress today by a 19 to 11 vote!  Some anti-gun Democrats tried to weaken the bill, but the Republicans rejected the effort.

It now heads to the House Floor.   I'm not sure when it will be voted on at this time.

If you haven't contacted your Representative in support of H.R. 38, now would be a good time to do so.

There was some BAD news, though.  We all need to contact our Representative to OPPOSE H.R. 4434, which is the "Fix NICS" bill.  H.R. 4434 is an anti-gun bill that will be used to strip gun rights from more people without due process.  This bill, unfortunately, was also voted out of the Judiciary Committee today and will be heading to the House Floor.

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline AGuyNamedMike

• U.S.S. Sharp Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: More Attention, More Action
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2017 - 12:31:24 »
This part is incorrect:

"H.R. 4434 is an anti-gun bill that will be used to strip gun rights from more people without due process."

4434 merely requires that heads of various agencies certify their reporting compliance. Something like this might have gotten the USAF to actually report Devin Kelley's 2014 domestic violence conviction to NICS.

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 Dec 2017 - 13:02:36 »
Perchance there was a wrong bill number involved here.

Nemo

https://www.gunowners.org/goa-on-carry-nics.htm

GOA is, unsurprisingly, supportive of reciprocity, but they’re less than thrilled with the changes to the NICS.

Now, the GOA’s charges against HR 4477 are pretty serious, and if that’s an accurate assessment, then yeah, there’s a problem.

No one takes issue with taking steps necessary to prevent a spousal abuser like the Sutherland Springs killer from getting a gun despite being a prohibited individual, but there’s a far cry between domestic violence and, to use GOA’s example, unpaid parking tickets. The mental health examples are also problematic. People suffering from PTSD and ADHD are rarely adjudicated as mentally defective, thus shouldn’t be barred from purchasing firearms. They shouldn’t show up in the NICS for those conditions by any stretch.

And

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2017/11/30/goa-makes-statement-national-reciprocity-bill-nics-bill/

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline AGuyNamedMike

• U.S.S. Sharp Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec 2017 - 14:22:18 »
Nah, I poked around and found this:

Erich Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America, says the organization opposes background checks before purchasing a firearm.

"That forces law-abiding citizens to prove their innocence to the government," he argues, "before they can exercise a constitutional protected right. And we think that's wrong."

So it's the official position of GOA that any background checks at all are unacceptable, which explains their opposition to "fixing NICS".

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 Dec 2017 - 21:02:15 »
So we need to get the phone working.

Nemo

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 Dec 2017 - 13:20:36 »
More info on this.  Either way, get those phones and fingers working.

Nemo

VCDL President <president@vcdl.org>
Yesterday, 8:34 PMYou
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a Virginia Citizens Defense League member? Join VCDL at: https://vcdl.org/join
VCDL's calendar: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html
VA-ALERT archives:  http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/727/=now

National Concealed Carry Reciprocity, H.R. 38, is up for a vote ON WEDNESDAY in the U.S. House of Representatives!

However, there is a twist.  I received a call from one of Virginia's Representatives letting me know that Republican leadership has combined H.R. 38 with H.R. 4434 (which is the "Fix NICS Act").  So both bills will either pass or fail with the same vote.  :-(

After conferring with the VCDL Board and one of our attorneys, VCDL is going to continue supporting H.R. 38, even when combined with H.R. 4434.

The combined bill is supported by at least two national gun rights organizations:  Gun Owners of America and the NRA.  The idea is that gun owners will gain far more by having National Reciprocity than would be lost to the bad parts of the Fix NICS component.

There are various theories floating around as to whether combining the bills is either a good strategy that will help get National Reciprocity onto the President's desk or a horrible strategy that will only get the Fix NICS bill on his desk.  Should National Reciprocity die in the Senate, but Fix NICS survive, we will then contact our Representatives to kill the Fix NICS bill and also ask the President to veto the Fix NICS bill unless National Reciprocity is also put on his desk.

The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA) is working to get an amendment to improve the Fix NICS part of the bill.  That would be an ideal solution.

VCDL will push CCRKBA's amendment to Fix NICS once we know which Representative is carrying it and once we can verify the wording.

You will be updated once I know more about the CCRKBA's proposed amendments, hopefully on Tuesday.  You will also be updated on the disposition of H.R. 38 once I find out how the vote went on Wednesday.

Offline writerinmo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Old, grumpy and non-tolerant of idiots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 Dec 2017 - 15:36:58 »
Nothing wrong with HR4477. It's the "all I need is the 2nd Amendment" and the "Don't vote for anything sponsored by a democrat" people who are crying over this. I consider it to be more of a "Make the gun control we have work as designed" bill rather than an actual anti-gun bill.
http://elby.yolasite.com/
Mosin sight tools

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website and store