Author Topic: Bought a New 22 Rifle  (Read 53 times)

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
Bought a New 22 Rifle
« on: 10 Aug 2017 - 17:22:45 »
Went to a gun show a couple weeks back and got a Mossberg 802 bolt action 22 with a camo stock, single mag and 4x Bushnessll  (cheapo) scope.  (dayum hate typos)

Took it to the range today first firing of it.  Shooting from a wobbly bench with a rifle I didn't know I was getting 2" groups at 50 yards and the same at 100.  But the 50 yard groups were spot on target and aim point, but the 100 yard groups were 6-7 inches low.

Same bench, same ammo, same everything.  But that far low with no touch to scope dials.

WTH is going on with this.

Also the mag is loose in the well and needs to be in the right position.  It cannot get moved over or too much hand on it or any such.  It jams more than about any other rifle I have. 

I am beginning to think this is selling material.  But I really want a good 22 bolt action.

Nemo
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2017 - 06:40:19 by Nemo »

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Online Corelogik

• Administrator
  • U.S.S. Legend
  • Digital Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Rambling's of a Geek,...
Re: Bought a New 22 Rifle
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2017 - 11:22:15 »
Sounds like a display model too me. Too much handling and things are loose. My Savage Mk II was an excellent bolt action .22. I put a Sweet 22 scope on it and it was an absolute tack driver. Only gun I ever bought from Wal-Mart and it was under $200 at the time.

:armed_liberty:

= U.S.S. XXXX Slings, Coming Soon! =

"Hey you, out of the gene pool. NOW!"
"Our shields can't repel ignorance of that magnitude!"
"Somethings are true, whether you believe them or not,..."
"Always remember, 'Mil-Spec' is a MINIMUM requirement. Built by the lowest bidder,..."

Offline fordman

• U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2017 - 19:35:01 »
I've got the 702 semi auto. It isn't bad as far as accuracy but it had serious jamming issues last time i used it. It sits in the safe most of the time due to the jamming.

Offline AGuyNamedMike

• U.S.S. Sharp Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2017 - 15:31:05 »
What ammo were you shooting? A 6" drop at 100 yards sounds reasonable for 22.