Author Topic: Computer Geeks  (Read 249 times)

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
Computer Geeks
« on: 08 Jun 2017 - 19:54:14 »
Please advise.  I run AdBlocker and Ghostery (free versions) on about all the time, running Firefox with routine auto updates. 

Are AdBocker and Ghostery outdated?

Nemo

https://vikingvpn.com/cybersecurity-wiki/browser-security/guide-hardening-mozilla-firefox-for-privacy-and-security

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Geeks
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2017 - 06:35:44 »
I don't know much about Firefox but, I've been running AdBlocker & Ghostery on Chrome for several months now and they seem to be doing well. The only issue I have with Ghostery is, when I click on some links while doing searches, only a blank page will come up. I end up having to pause Ghostery for the page to load.
Don't talk about what you have done (or what you
are going to do). Do it and let it speak for itself.

Offline AGuyNamedMike

• U.S.S. Sharp Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2017 - 16:04:43 »
UBlock Origin has replaced AdBlock as the best adblocker for Firefox.

Ghostery has fallen into disrepute.

I'm looking at Disconnect and PrivacyBadger as replacements.

Don't forget NoScript!

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jun 2017 - 21:08:38 »
UBlock Origin has replaced AdBlock as the best adblocker for Firefox.

Ghostery has fallen into disrepute.

I'm looking at Disconnect and PrivacyBadger as replacements.

Don't forget NoScript!

Ghostery will be replaced.  Which of the 2 you named should be used.  Make it dead square simple, on/off simple.

Same with Adblock,  Ublock in getting on board. 

What should I know?  Remember, when in comes to computers, I am fully baked and mortared up brick smart.  In case you aren't sure in understanding, that means dumb as a baked mortared up brick.  Or dead stupid.

So explain it to the brick.

Thanks!!
Nemo

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline AGuyNamedMike

• U.S.S. Sharp Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2017 - 13:32:46 »
I've opted for Privacy Badger.

So, in Firefox under Addons/Extensions search for and install Privacy Badger and uBlock Origin:

Once installed and Firefox restarted, you can access the individual extension control panels right from the Firefox toolbar:

They are pretty much configured already.  If you come across a website that you trust that happens to not work properly now that you have these installed, you can disable either or both extensions on a site by site basis.