Author Topic: Drones w/ Camera's  (Read 255 times)

Offline DIPISC

• U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
    • View Profile
Drones w/ Camera's
« on: 31 May 2017 - 13:04:53 »
Hi;

Got a crazy idea of using a Drone w/Camera at the Rifle range for those 2-300 yard shot's. Also it could be of benifit at longer distances ( if I could find an area set up ).

Anyone here familiar with Drone's and can they be set up/Programmed to stay in place without any one behind the controls ?

At my age, the eye's are getting worse and the legs get tired quicker !

I have only 3 weapons with a mounted scope. I prefer open sights ( manly way of shooting IMHO ) !

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Drones w/ Camera's
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2017 - 16:45:20 »
60+ power spotting scope is my method of checking 100+ yard targets.  They are even helpful on 50 yard jobbers.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline dahed

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jun 2017 - 04:21:03 »
The few cheap ones that I have looked at have a very limited battery life and limited distance on radio control.  On the opposite spectrum, there are some in the $800+ range that would fill the bill, except in the wallet department.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Body Piercing by Smith & Wesson.

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that is remotely true. Homer Simpson

Offline Dracosfire83

• U.S.S. Expert
  • When 911 don't work. I use 9mm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jun 2017 - 08:02:48 »
Would this be used on a private range? If not I could see the urge to drop a drone causing you a costly problem.
Give me a minute and I'll change your mind, give me a bullet and I'll change you're life.

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jun 2017 - 08:05:00 »
I agree with Nemo..........a spotting scope is a better bet. If you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for one, Sportsmans Guide has a Barksa 25-125x88mm for $119.99.
Or...........if you don't need quite that much zoom, there are several brands listed with 20-60 power for $60 to $70.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/barska-25-125x88mm-waterproof-spotting-scope?a=556286&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9r7JBRCj37PlltTskaMBEiQAKTzTfDmOkg2hlmag5ofRWAUjUqj3dzSd74U7VF9bbdV8V7YaAtHd8P8HAQ
Don't talk about what you have done (or what you
are going to do). Do it and let it speak for itself.

Offline DIPISC

• U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jun 2017 - 15:28:33 »
Hi;

Most of all of your comments are spot on...Price,battery life,some one shooting the thing and prices on the various models.  The one's I was looking at were in the $600-1,220 range due to the duration and quality. I at the age/health condition that I need new glasses if not every year - every other year. The body is not what it use to be and is mentally harder to accept getting older and constant thoughts of "the good old days" of the Lean and Mean life style/period.

So, this drone idea was just a thought of compensation for reality of life .   LOL

Offline Dracosfire83

• U.S.S. Expert
  • When 911 don't work. I use 9mm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 Jun 2017 - 17:43:16 »
You might be able to use a gopro and set up a live stream to a smart phone with an app like Periscope.
Give me a minute and I'll change your mind, give me a bullet and I'll change you're life.

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jun 2017 - 05:54:25 »
Drones are generally fair game to me.  Out in the county park or somewhere is fine.  Buzzing around the neighborhood not so much.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.