Author Topic: Might have created a monster today  (Read 77 times)

Offline writerinmo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Old, grumpy and non-tolerant of idiots
    • View Profile
Might have created a monster today
« on: 17 May 2017 - 18:20:22 »
Well, the wife just made her very first purchase of a firearm that required her to fill out a 4473 and undergo a background check this morning, and all went well with it. She's proud as hell of her new Taurus 709 slim 9mm pistol and is hoping that the rain doesn't keep her from breaking it in tomorrow!

Background on this is that about 20 years ago she got pulled over by the cops, who were looking for her estranged husband. In the ensuring search of her vehicle they found some drugs and a pistol that he had stashed in her car. Now, the cops (and the judge) knew it wasn't hers but still charged and prosecuted her for them, but she got "suspended imposition of sentence" on both, and probation. Once she completed the probation period, those pretty much disappeared for the most part, but she was under the impression that she couldn't own or purchase a firearm.

Once we got together I did some research and determined that SIS's weren't considered by the Feds to be convictions, so she could actually answer "NO" on the 4473 regarding that question. Of course, until she actually went through a background check, we couldn't be SURE that there was some loophole somewhere that some ignorant anti-gun politician hadn't managed to sneak into law that would trip her up. So, when I ran across one of my online retailers offering the Taurus 709 slim for a whopping $169.99 with free shipping, I figured it was time to give it a shot.

And to make it even better, I used Paypal to buy it with....  :D
http://elby.yolasite.com/
Mosin sight tools

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website and store

Offline dahed

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Might have created a monster today
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2017 - 04:40:21 »
... and if you have any Hi Point C-9 mags laying around, they work pretty well in the 709 (and a lot easier and cheaper that Taurus mags.)
Nec Aspera Terrent

Body Piercing by Smith & Wesson.

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that is remotely true. Homer Simpson

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2017 - 19:48:15 »
Wife was talking about getting her her own wheelgun.  We went to a BIG gun show in Chantilly Va (and its a biggie) and were looking around.  We had looked at the Ruger SP-101 and I was primarily looking for one of those, with a 3 inch barrel if we could find it.

She ran across a Charter Arms Mag Pug 357, 2.2 inch barrel, all stainless, labeled used but so clean I would have thought it new.  It was still in original box with docs and all.  And I like CA and a 30 year old Undercover 38 is my very deep cover CCW.

She saw it and liked the size and weight and but does not like the rubber grips.  Price was labeled at $260.  I offered $260 OTD and deal was made.  She then got to do a 4473 and check and all that.  I wanted her to experience the whole thing.  But it has also gone on rides and shopping trips with me several times.

She gets to work up to a 357 round and I have to hunt up a nice set of wood grips.  Seems I will get to make them myself or spend $75-100 for them.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline dahed

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2017 - 08:02:52 »
Seems like the rubber grips would be a godsend if shooting 140gr to 225gr pills from .357 mag with a short barrel.  Even .38 Spl would be kinda rough with wood grips.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Body Piercing by Smith & Wesson.

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that is remotely true. Homer Simpson

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2017 - 20:39:48 »
I agree with you but she said she does not like the rubber feel in hand and it feels a bit small.  She wants the larger smoother wood grip feel.  The big turn off is the finger indents but we shall see.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.