Author Topic: A Bit Late  (Read 412 times)

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
A Bit Late
« on: 09 Apr 2017 - 06:59:00 »
I found this most interesting.

Nemo

http://blog.defenderoutdoors.com/april-fools-in-the-firearms-industry/

Vortex Optics and Hornady Ammunition Team Up to Bring You the Bullet-Cam

Don’t you hate when you’re shooting long distances and you can’t see if you hit the target through your riflescope or spotting scope? You need to check your aim, but sometimes the shot gets lost. Well, that’s no longer an issue thanks to Vortex Optics and Hornady! By using innovative microtechnology, advanced ballistics, and cloud computing, the companies have developed a long range projectile with a tiny camera in the ballistic tip. The footage is sent to the cloud and can be viewed through the app on your smart phone. Check it out:

http://www.facebook.com/vortexoptics/videos/10155106311160758/

Unfortunately, this product is another April Fools’ joke. We would love to see what our bullet sees as it travels down the barrel and down the range, but technology just isn’t there yet. (Though it probably never will be, to be honest.) The bulk of the camera equipment would definitely affect the ballistics of the bullet, and the speed of the bullet would be pretty hard to capture without some really advanced slow-motion technology. Not to mention the price would make these rounds too valuable to shoot very often. But, it does make for a funny joke! After a lot of interest in the product, Vortex decided to shelve the project:

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline DIPISC

• U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
    • View Profile
Re: A Bit Late
« Reply #1 on: 09 Apr 2017 - 14:08:01 »
Hi;

Well it is just a matter of time !  We have the cameras on our guided munitions for the military and it would happen IMHO  with the 50 cal round if at all. Perhaps in another 20-30 years and the Military or CIA 8) would fund a project like that.

just a thought on using 1 of those Drones you can buy in the stores and have it hover at/near the 200-300-500 yard line !  :cool2:

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 Apr 2017 - 20:53:58 »
You did read the first line of the second paragraph, correct?

Nemo

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline DIPISC

• U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2017 - 12:39:25 »
Hi;

yes I did but it is only a matter of time when it becomes reality.

The Star Trek communicators were only fantasy for 25-30 years until someone or some company figured out a way to make it happen with our cell phones.

The Earth was flat for centuries, until some one proved otherwise.

The first computers took up vast areas/rooms until they now fit in the palm of our hands !

Etc, Etc , Etc .    The Best is yet to come !

Offline AGuyNamedMike

• U.S.S. Sharp Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jun 2017 - 14:47:28 »

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jun 2017 - 06:43:01 »
I remember seeing that. I knew it had to be a joke when I first read it. In order for something like that to even be remotely useful, it would have to contain a VERY high speed camera, capable of recording several hundred frames of video during the fraction of a second, it would take to get from your barrel to the target.
Don't talk about what you have done (or what you
are going to do). Do it and let it speak for itself.