Author Topic: WTF Magazines  (Read 360 times)

Offline DIPISC

• U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
    • View Profile
WTF Magazines
« on: 04 Jan 2017 - 08:05:12 »
Hi;

Was at the local gun show a few weeks ago and came across a booth from  "Sarco" a distributor out of NJ that advertises in the shotgun news . They had "used" Mini-14 mags for $5. ea - I bought 6 of them and was happy,happy, happy !

brought them home and disassembled them and cleaned them up and was awaiting a delivery from my LGS on some ammo to fill the mags and other mags up. While waiting for the ammo, I dug out the Mini-14 rifle out of the safe and the mags do not fit my Ruger mini-14.

It seems that the mags a slightly wider and bigger than my factory mags for the rifle. All they do is scratch up the mag well when I try to insert each 1 to see if maybe 1-2 may just be defective and they all are worthless !

All other mags that I bought from them for other weapons work just fine !  So, beware of the $5. special on their Mini -14 mags !

Offline dahed

• U.S.S. Legend
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Magazines
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jan 2017 - 15:35:07 »
I shudder anytime I buy an offbrand mag for a weapon.  The only one I have had good luck with are the AR mags.  Seems like everything works (or has to this point!)  I remember the ProMag HP C9 mag problems from a few years ago and problems they have had with other units.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Body Piercing by Smith & Wesson.

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that is remotely true. Homer Simpson

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Magazines
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jan 2017 - 18:16:10 »
I have heard that the magazines for the 180 series is not compatible very well with the later ones.  Check the first 3 digits of the serial number.  See what that tells you.

Seems you have 180 magazines for a later series.  OR later series for a 180 rifle.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.