Author Topic: 1858 stainless navy revolver powder question  (Read 1691 times)

Offline toddallen21

• U.S.S. Sharp Shooter
    • View Profile
1858 stainless navy revolver powder question
« on: 04 Mar 2016 - 16:45:44 »
Hi guys im new to black powder handguns and was wondering if possibly it would be okay to crush up jim shockeys gold 50gr sticks back to a fine powder and load it in my 1858 navy,about 20 to 30grs or so? anyone here into black powders?

I would like to think that the pre measured sticks are of same standard black powder as say non pre measured black powder, i may be wrong,but thats why im asking  :brow:

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 1858 stainless navy revolver powder question
« Reply #1 on: 04 Mar 2016 - 19:37:40 »
I think I would be afraid to try that.  It might blow up on you.  That would be bad.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine its time to call in air support.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline writerinmo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Old, grumpy and non-tolerant of idiots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 Mar 2016 - 20:57:39 »
I don't mess around with the black powder or black powder substitutes. I use the correct powder for the type of firearm. Rifle and pistol powders have different burn rates.
http://elby.yolasite.com/
Mosin sight tools

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website and store

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 Mar 2016 - 21:52:26 »
My question is why. Why would you do that. Isn't bulk powder cheaper than the pellets anyway?

I use the pellets in my .50 cal BP rifle but, that's what it was designed to use. I'd have to buy a different style breach plug if I wanted to use loose powder.
Don't talk about what you have done (or what you
are going to do). Do it and let it speak for itself.

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 Mar 2016 - 06:07:31 »
Its very difficult to get Black Powder anymore.  But the White Powder substitute stuff is all over.  But Todd, you need to do the real BP.  Just to do it and get the smell in your clothes, nose and blood.  Careful though it could lead to an addiction.

Come west.  I have a pound to trade if you want.  You determine what to trade on your end.  Its old, but it sure seems to work proper.  At least the stuff in the other cans did.  All about the same age.  I mentioned it to a guy I knew with the N-SSA and they bought it fast.

What caliber is it?  Might have some projectiles to go with it.  If I look hard might even find a powder tin.  I know I have one (mine) and I think there is another around here.

Nemo

I came into this world kicking, screaming, covered in someone else's blood. I certainly don't mind leaving the same way

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 Mar 2016 - 06:31:43 »
Its very difficult to get Black Powder anymore.  But the White Powder substitute stuff is all over.  But Todd, you need to do the real BP.  Just to do it and get the smell in your clothes, nose and blood.  Careful though it could lead to an addiction.

Come west.  I have a pound to trade if you want.  You determine what to trade on your end.  Its old, but it sure seems to work proper.  At least the stuff in the other cans did.  All about the same age.  I mentioned it to a guy I knew with the N-SSA and they bought it fast.

What caliber is it?  Might have some projectiles to go with it.  If I look hard might even find a powder tin.  I know I have one (mine) and I think there is another around here.

Nemo

I can get Black Powder, loose and pellets, all day long at my local Wally World and it's the real Black Powder, not that synthetic junk.........and they always have the "Power Belt" bullets I like, in stock. The only thing they tend to run out of is the #209 primers my rifle uses but, they come in 100 ct. packs so I still have plenty till a new shipment comes in.

Offline Hamster

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Class Clown
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 Mar 2016 - 06:34:38 »
Oh...........and Todd, just make sure you don't EVER use smokeless powder in a BP gun. It burns too fast and the gun might blow up in your face.

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 Mar 2016 - 07:07:15 »
Oh...........and Todd, just make sure you don't EVER use smokeless powder in a BP gun. It burns too fast and the gun might blow up in your face.

fixed that part

But noted, when it does blow up in your face it could easily blind you, destroy your nose, face, hand or even kill you.  Do not do it.  Even 2 or 3 flakes can be real bad.

Think of ole one eye elandil.  He got hit with a bush hog rock, not powder but is only a single vision guy now.
Nemo

Offline toddallen21

• U.S.S. Sharp Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 Mar 2016 - 14:15:19 »
Thanks fellows all i can get local is the premeasured stuff may have to order online. Its a 44 cal but takes the .454 dia round ball so actually a 45 cal. I do know not to use smokeless powder in it for sure,but was thinking that the premeasured powder you think would still be the same as other black powder. I will stay safe and try to find it on line and order the loose powder for it.

Offline jungshin

• U.S.S. Distinguished Expert
  • Really?! I'm So Confused,.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 Mar 2016 - 11:04:37 »
if you've never loaded a BP revolver you need to have somebody show you how to do that. mostly i play with rock locks, but my mom has told me how exciting a chain   fire in a revolver can be. you need to load each cylinder and grease around the ball so the flash of firing doesn't set off the powder for the cylinders that are not lined up to fire, and be sure to leave an empty cylinder for under the hammer.

mostly i have preferred real black powder to the substitutes, and in a pistol i would think that some 3f would be the best choice. go to a reloading store, if they don't have it on the shelf in back they will be able to get it for you. be sure to tell them it is for a BP gun and shooting. my local Graff Bros. always asks, using it for pre 1898 guns or repro's is a specific exclusion for BP to be purchased by non licensed individuals. BP is an explosive and the other substitutes are non explosive.

have fun . be safe   
esse quam videre. to be rather than to appear

Offline Nemo

• U.S.S. Legend
  • Man of Myth and Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 Mar 2016 - 18:04:15 »
The only thing they tend to run out of is the #209 primers my rifle uses but, they come in 100 ct. packs so I still have plenty till a new shipment comes in.

Aren't 209 Primers basic shotgun primers?

Nemo

Offline toddallen21

• U.S.S. Sharp Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 Mar 2016 - 06:26:46 »
I have done a lot of research mainly with you-tube and the hickok45 fellow and got the info on loading the correct way. All is well had a local fellow to help me out with a sub black powder and gave me a few pointers as well. It went boom and never found the lead ball after digging over a foot in the ground. Its a lot of fun and now to order a 45lc cylinder to play with as well just for the hell of it.

Offline toddallen21

• U.S.S. Sharp Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 Mar 2016 - 06:27:40 »
The only thing they tend to run out of is the #209 primers my rifle uses but, they come in 100 ct. packs so I still have plenty till a new shipment comes in.

Aren't 209 Primers basic shotgun primers?

Nemo

209 primers are all over down here local just no powder >:(